Special issues of journals
- Prins, G. and Rayner, S. (2007). The Wrong Trousers: Radically rethinking climate policy, Oxford, James Martin Institute for Science and Civilization.
- Managing Tomorrow's People: The Future of Work to 2020
The Scenarios team assisted PricewaterhouseCoopers executives in their thinking about the future of people management. The resulting report describes three possible scenarios. (download report)
- Hultman, N. E., Boyd, E., Roberts, T., Corbera, E., Ebeling, J., Liverman, D. M., Brown, K., Tippmann, R., Cole, J., Mann, P., Kaiser, M., Robbins, M., Bumpus, A., Shaw, A., Ferreira, E., Bozmoski, A., Villiers, C. and Avis, J. (2007). The Clean Development Mechanism: An assessment of current practice and future approaches for policy, Tyndall Centre Working Paper.
- Neyland, D. (2007). Governance, Accountability and Neglected Diseases, European Union.
- Ventresca, M. J. and Zhao, M. (2007). System Builders: Lessons for ecosystem and infrastructure from the work of T. Hughes. SBS Course Note, Said Business School.
- Wilkinson, A. (2007) 'Looking to Our Energy Futures'. World Conservation. 37, 33-34.
- Wilkinson, A. (2007). 'ESRC Scenario Building Workshop report'. Oxford, James Martin Institute.
- Lezaun, J. 'A market of opinions: the political epistemology of focus groups', The Sociological Review, Volume 55, Supplement 2, October 2007 , pp. 130-151.
- Lezaun, J (with Linda Soneryd) 'Consulting citizens: technologies of elicitation and the mobility of publics' Public Understanding of Science, Vol. 16, No. 3, 279-297 (2007)
- McGoey, L. (2007) “On the will to ignorance in bureaucracy.”Economy and Society, 36(2): 212-235. [download pdf]
- Kendall, T and McGoey, L. (2007) “Truth, disclosure and the influence of industry on the development of NICE guidelines: An interview with Tim Kendall.” BioSocieties. 2(1): 129-140. [download pdf].
- König, A. (2007). Does radical innovation predispose a firm to a lack of social connectedness? Can improved governance practices compensate? (pdf) A case study on Monsanto, genetically modified crops and stakeholder dialogue.
- Reed-Tsochas, F. and Johnson, N., Eds. (2007) Complex Systems and Interdisciplinary Science book series
- Kepes, F., Ed. (2007). Biological Networks. Complex Systems and Interdisciplinary Science. London, World Scientific.
- Caldarelli, G. and Vespignani, A., Eds. (2007). Large Scale Structure and Dynamics of Complex Networks: From information technology to finance and natural science. Complex Systems of Indisciplinary Science. London, World Scientific.
- Darley, V. and Outkin, A. V., Eds. (2007). A NASDAQ Market Simulation: Insights on a major market from the science of complex adaptive systems. Complex Systems and Interdisciplinary Science. London, World Scientific.
- Rayner, S. (2007). 'Creating a Climate for Change: The influence of Luther Gerlach in Critical Thinking about Climate Policy'. Cultural Analysis and the Navigation of Complexity. Brandt, L. K. Lanham, Maryland, University Press of America.
- Ramirez, Rafael, K. Medjad (2007) "When Strangers Meet - Scenarios and the Legal Profession" in Scenarios for Success, B. Sharpe and K. van der Heijden (eds.): Chichester: Wiley.
- Ramirez, R., K. van der Heijden (2007) "Scenarios To Develop Strategic Options: A New Interactive Role For Scenarios In Strategy" in Scenarios for Success, B. Sharpe and K. van der Heijden (eds.): Chichester: Wiley.
- Davis, T. and Schneider, T. (2007) ‘Making sense of health foods: A historical analysis of food advertising in The Australian Women’s Weekly in the three post-war decades’, In: Interdisciplinary Perspectives in Food Studies, edited by M. Koc, R. MacRae and K. Bronson. Toronto: McGraw-Hill Ryerson Limited.
- Caswill, C. (2007). Reasons for Continuity Pressures for Change: The scope for fresh thinking peer review. 'Peer Review: Its present and future state' Czech Science Foundation. Prague, Czech Science Foundation: pp. 149-156.
- Hultman, N. E. (2007). Carbon Sequestration. Encyclopedia of Energy Engineering. Capehart, B. New York, Marcel Dekker: 125-129.
- Hultman, N. E. (2007). China's Keystone Role in International Energy Politics and Climate Policy. Understanding the Paradoxes in China's Energy Efficiency Trends: Comparative analysis in global and national context. Zheng, X. N. Stuttgart, Ibidem Press.
- Hultman, N. E. (2007). International Climate Policy. Encyclopedia of Energy Engineering. Capehart, B. New York, Marcel Dekker: 137-142.
- Hultman, N. E. and Kammen, D. M. (2007). Equitable Carbon Revenue Distribution Under and International Emmisions Trading Regime. Reclaiming Nature: Environmental Justice and Ecological Restoration. Boyce, J. K., Narain, S. and Stanton, E. A. London, Anthem Press.
- Hultman, N. E. and Staudt, A. (2007). Global Climate Change. Encyclopedia of Energy Engineering. Capehart, B. New York, Marcel Dekker: 760-770.
- Rayner, S. and Prins, G. (2007). "Time to Ditch Kyoto." Nature 449(25): 973-975.
- Reed-Tsochas, F., Uzzi, B. and Amaral, L. A. (2007). "Small-World Networks and Management Science Research: A review." European Managment Review 4: 77-91. (PDF)
- Pielke Jr, R. A., Prins, G., Rayner, S. and Sarewitz, D. (2007). "Lifting the Taboo on Adaptation." Nature 445: 597-598.
- ‘The Issues Deserve More Credit: Pragmatist Contributions to the Study of Public Involvement in Controversy,’ Social Studies of Science 37, no. 5 (2007): 759-780.
- Kumpula, J.M., Onnela, J.-P., Saramäki, J., Kaski, K., and Kertész, J. (2007) "Emergence of communities in weighted networks", Physical Review Letters. 99, 228701. (pdf) 29-11-07
- Onnela, J.-P., Saramäki, J., Hyvönen, J., Szabó, G., Menezes, M. A. de., Kaski, K., Barabási, A.-L. and Kertész, J., (2007) "Analysis of a large-scale weighted network of one-to-one human communication", New Journal of Physics 9 : 179. (pdf) 28-06-07
- Smith, D.M.D., Onnela, J.-P. and N.F. Johnson, (2007) “Accelerating Networks” (PDF), New Journal of Phyics. 9 181. 28-06-07
- Onnela, J.-P., Saramäki, J., Hyvönen, J., Szabó, G., Lazer, D., Kaski, K., Kertész, J. and Barabási, A.-L. (2007) "Structure and tie strengths in mobile communication networks", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) 104, 7332-7336. (pdf) 01-05-07
- T. Heimo, J. Saramäki, J.-P. Onnela, and K. Kaski, Spectral and network methods in the analysis of correlation matrices of stock returns, Physica A 383, 147-151 (2007).
- J. Saramäki, M. Kivelä, J.-P. Onnela, K. Kaski, and J. Kertész, Generalizations of the clustering coefficient to weighted complex networks,Phys. Rev. E, 75 027105 (2007).
- 2007b What about "one more turn after the social" in archaeological reasoning? Taking things seriously,World Archaeology 39(4):563-578.
- 2007a The dilemma of contact: archaeology’s ethics-epistemology crisis and the recovery of the pragmatic sensibility, Stanford Journal of Archaeology 5:224-246.
- Hultman, N. E. (2007). "Can the World wean itself from fossil Fuels?" Current History: 376-383.
- Hultman, N. E. (2007). "To Arbitrate or to Advocate?" Science 317(5840): 900-901.
- Hultman, N. E. and Koomey, J. G. (2007). "A Reactor Level Analysis of Busbar Costs for US Nuclear Plants, 1970-2005." Energy Policy 35(11): 5630-5642.
- Hultman, N. E. and Koomey, J. G. (2007). "The Risk of Surprise in Energy Technology Costs." Environmental Research Letters 2(3).
- Hultman, N. E., Koomey, J. G. and Kammen, D. M. (2007). "What History Can Teach Us about the Future Costs of U.S. Nuclear Power." Environmental Science and Technology 41(7): 2088-2093.
- König, A. (2007). "Towards safer foods and more democratic decisions: Is this a contradictory goal?" Oléagineux, Corps Gras, Lipides 14(2): 92-99.
- Neyland, D. (2007). "Achieving Transparency: The visible, invisible and divisible in academic accountability networks." Organization 14(4): 499-516.
- Ostry, A., Maggi, S., Tansey, J., Dunn, J., Hershler, R., Chen, L. and Hertzman, C. (2007). "The Impact of Physical and Psychosocial Work Conditions on Attempted and Completed Suicide Among Western Canadian Sawmill Workers." Scandinavian Journal of Public Health 2007 35(3): 265-271.
- Rayner, S. (2007) The rise of risk and the decline of politics. Environmental Hazards, 7(2), 165-172.
- Sarewitz, D. (2007). "Does Science Policy Matter?" Issues in Science and Technology Summer: pp. 31-39.
- Sarewitz, D. and Pielke, R. A. J. (2007). "The Neglected Heart of Science Policy: Reconciling supply and demand for science." Environmental Science and Policy 10(1): pp. 5-16.
- Woodhouse, E. and Sarewitz, D. (2007). "Science Policies for Reducing Societal Inequities." Science and Public Policy 34(2): pp. 139-50.
Articles under review
- Davis, T. and T. Schneider (2007) ‘Gastro-anomie and the diet making nexus: The social construction of health foods in The Australian Women’s Weekly over half a century’, in European Advances in Consumer Research, Volume 8, edited by S. Borghini, M. McGrath and C. Otnes, Milan, Italy: Association for Consumer Research. http://www.acrwebsite.org/volumes/display.asp?id=13940 (download PDF)
- Schneider, T. and T. Davis (2007) ‘(Trans)forming the consuming self: Breakfast and nutrition discourse in Australia 1951-2001’, Conference of The European Sociological Association (Research Stream: Sociology of Consumption), Glasgow, UK.
- Schneider, T. and T. Davis (2007) ‘Defining the healthy food consumer. Nutrition discourse in Australia in the 20th century’, Canadian Association for Food Studies, Annual Conference. Saskatoon, Canada.
- Caswill, C. (2007). Participation, Representation, and Delegation: Back to the rough ground in the governance of science. EGENIS Conference on Governing Genomics, University of Exeter, January.
- June 2007 - "Productive ambiguity: RCTs and the uses of inconsistency." L. McGoey Invited talk at LSE's Centre for Philosophy of Natural and Social Sciences workshop on "Contingency in Science: Its origins and outcomes" June 21-22. LSE, London.
- R. Toivonen, J. M. Kumpula, J. Saramäki, J.-P. Onnela, J. Kertész, and K. Kaski, The role of edge weights in social networks: modelling structure and dynamics,in J. Kertesz et al (eds.), Proceedings of SPIE: Noise and Stochastics in Complex Systems and Finance, Proc. of SPIE 6601, 660110 (2007).
- Onnela, J-P, Emergence of communities in weighted social networks,CCP2007, Brussels, September 2007.
- Onnela, J-P, Main street bias in epidemiological surveys of conflict mortality, Helsinki, July 2007.
- Ventresca, M. J. and Zhao, M. (2007). Institutional Innovation: Network Brokering and System Building Skoll-Zhejiang International Forum on Social Entrepreneurship Hangzhou, China May 2007.
- Ventresca, M. J. and Zhao, M. (2007). Institutional Innovation: Network Brokering and System Building European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS), Vienna, Austria, July 2007.
- Rayner, S. and Prins, G, (2007) Time to ditch Kyoto, Nature, 25 Oct 2007
- Climate policy after 2012, when the Kyoto treaty expires, needs a radical rethink. More of the same won't do, argue Gwyn Prins and Steve Rayner. (full article in Nature)
- Wilkinson, A. (2007). Looking to Our Energy Futures. World Conservation. 37: 33-34.
- McGoey, L. (2007) "Betrayed by their Disciples" (Review of Tim Congdon's Keynes, Keynesians, and Monetarism). Spectator, 7 November 2007
- McGoey, L. (2007) "The windfalls after the storm" (Review of Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine: The rise of disaster capitalism). Spectator, 27 October 2007
- McGoey, L. (2007) “Pharmaceutical Hope” (Review of Andrew Lakoff’s Pharmaceutical Reason: Knowledge and Value in Global Psychiatry). Science as Culture 16(4): 489-493
- McGoey, L. (2007) Review of Adam Hedgecoe’s Politics of Personalised Medicine. British Journal of Sociology 58(1): 146.
- Onnela, J-P, Heikot linkit - verkon elinehto, Helsingin Sanomat, 29 May 2007.
- Onnela, J-P, Study maps network of 7 million cell phone users,PhysOrg.com, 12 May 2007.
- Onnela, J-P, Cellphone study shows the ties that bind nations, New Scientist, 24 April 2007.
- Onnela, J-P, Flüchtige Bekanntschaften halten die Info-Gesellschaft zusammen, Spiegel Online, 25 April 2007.
- Hultman, N. E. (2007). Geoscience and International Decisions on Adapting to Climate Change. Geotimes.
- Tickell, C. (2007). China's Green Revolution. Business at Oxford. 11: 24-25.
- Pielke Jr, R. A. (2007). Commentary - Who has the ear of the president? Nature 450, 347-348 (15th November 2007)